A multiple award-winning media personality and human rights champion. Over the years Alexandra has worked as a journalist, TV- and radio presenter/producer, author, speaker, moderator playwright, actress and goodwill-ambassador advocating for democracy, diversity and equality. Alexandra is an acclaimed lecturer and motivational speaker within culture, politics, media, global trends and inspiration. She is passionate and visionary presentations inspires people to act. She has a unique ability to pass her message and move the listener.
- Beyond mamma’s street (Bortom mammas gata) (Atlas) 2001 – (The Swedish PEN-club prize)
- Cross Roads. Voices about suburban culture (Korsvägar. Röster om förortskultur) (Atlas) 2002
- (Frontkick – collected texts) (Atlas) 2003
- Taxi (Atlas & Månpocket) 2008
- My big fat Greek cookbook (Min stora feta grekiska kokbok) (Bonnier Fakta) 2010 (Int. Cookbook Award)
- (CHAOS- a Greek Dictionary of the Crisis) (Kaos- ett grekiskt krislexikon) (Atlas) 2014
- (#me too – Moving on) (#Me Too- så går vi vidare. Röster, redskap och råd) (Lava) 2017
- The mothers (Mammorna) (Atlas) 2018 (nominated the August Prize)
Translated from Swedish to Greek
Editor and co-author
- Mitt namn är Iran – åtta möten med iranska kvinnor (My name is Iran – eight meetings with Iranian women) (2001)
- Svartskallar – så funkar vi (Blackheads – that’s how we work). Uppsala Publishing House (2003)
- Eldvatten (Firewater)
- Till alla Vänner (To all Friends)
- Naturen i själ och hjärta (Nature in soul and heart) – Svenska Naturskyddsföreningen
- Med andan i halsen (Teknikföretagen) 2011
- Det nya landet (The new country) (redaktör & skribent)
- Brev till min dotter (Letter to my daughter) (Bokförlaget Forum) 2017
- Saker jag hade velat veta när jag var 15 (Things I Wanted to Know When I Was 15) (Norstedts)
- Förord till “Sabelles Röda Klänning” (Preface to “Sabelle’s Red Dress”) (Prisbelönt) (Award Winning)
- Förord till “Annalisa och Födelsedagspresenten” Preface to “Annalisa and the Birthday Present”
From Greek to Swedish
Sabelle’s Red Dress (Mirando Book Publishing) 2015 (Pan Prize)
Examples of lectures held by Alexandra Pascalidou
TV & Radio Presenter
Alexandra made her debut in 1995 hosting the weekly multicultural show Mosaik in Swedish Television (SVT). Since then she has presented everything from prime time Christmas-shows to charity galas, from debates to documentaries, from Olympic Games to talk shows. Alexandra is the only person to have hosted the Eurovision Song Contest in both her home countries.
Between 2004 and 2006, Alexandra worked as a presenter and producer in Greek TV where she, among other things, she presented the EU election polls, TV-galas, the Eurovision Song Contest, weekly prime time shows Euromania and her own prime-time Friday nights interview series. Among others, she interviewed Armando Diego Maradona, Roberto Cavalli, Isabel Allende and Roger Moore.
Alexandra’s SVT (Swedish National TV) documentary on the Greek crisis “What’s wrong with the Greeks?” had a huge impact.
Her SVT documentary series in SVT “We are called beggars” became a Crystal-nominated rating success.
For Swedish Radio, Alexandra has presented among others “Pascalidou in P1”, “National Day Celebration”, “P1 Debate” and “Ring P1”.
Playwright for “The Mothers” praised by critics in all the Swedish newspapers.
Alexandra made her stage debut as a playwright and actress at Gothemburg National with the play Alexandra’s Odyssey.
Nonprofit & Volunteer
Alexandra is a goodwill ambassador for Mentor Sweden, Kvinna till Kvinna and the migrant and refugee women’s shelter Terrafem. Over the years she spent precious time and effort to empower people that where deprived of their voices and their human dignity.
Since her book “The Mothers” was published, she, together with other mothers, has organized the Mothers’ Manifestations.
Alexandra is a member of the advisory board for the New York Times Athens Democracy Forum.
In 2014, Pascalidou together with secretary general Lena Ag for the organisation Kvinna till Kvinna competed in the TV-show “Who wants to be a Millionaire”. They won one million kronor which was donated to “Kvinna till Kvinna”.
Founder of New Academy Prize in Literature
Pascalidou was the creator and co-founder of ”The New Academy”, an initiative created in the spring of 2018 as a reaction to the scandals in the Swedish Academy that led to the cancellation of Nobel Prize in Literature. The initiative generated worldwide attention in e.g. The New York Times, The Guardian and CNN.